Friday, November 22, 2013

Massive Cravings

I did okay for almost a year and a half...

In the spring of 2012 I decided to stop playing.  I didn't want to go so far as to drop all of my RA/EX stuff and delete my characters, but I did cancel my service.  To discourage myself from wanting to come back, I sold just about everything that I could and distributed almost all of my gil and semi-valuable items to my friends.

When my wife and I first started playing the game, a stranger gave 100k gil to her 'to help a newbie out' (gogo mithra?). I decided that I wanted to do something similar.

I also remember the good ol' days of running around various zones and PLing random people.

I set out in Windy and the Sarutabarutas looking for a noob. I wandered through both zones without finding a single person. Next, I hit up the dunes, thinking of the old days where I'd spend my time just PLing random groups there for funsies. I was able to find a level 30 WAR without a subjob, so I offered to help them get their subjob items and gave them 200k when they got their last item. I didn't feel like going to babysit an alliance in Gusgen, so I kept looking in the dunes. Eventually I found a trio that seemed grateful for my assistance. I spent an hour doing the healing and gave them each 150k with instructions to "pay it forward". Made me feel good. Makes me wish I would have spent more time helping other people instead of waiting in my mog house for friends/LS mates to log on.

I played the game for more than 7 years and spent ~$2500 on it. I was logged in on my main for more than 717 days (quite a bit of overnight/AFK time in there). I felt that it was time to move on.

I never felt that I was rich. I always had reasonable gear for my jobs, usually the best NQ stuff from the AH. By the time that I cleaned out my mules, and sold most of my stuff for 1/2 price in Port Jeuno, I was able to give away almost 30 mil gil!

But now, I just can't seem to shake the urge to return to the game.  I tried to get excited about FFXIV: ARR but it just didn't work.  For some reason, the two new jobs really seemed to pique my interest.  I spent probably 20 hours over the weekend watching videos of people playing FFXI as GEO.  One dude had a 12-hour stream of him doing a marathon of GEO from 46-99.  I watched almost half of that stream (before technical issues on his website stopped me), even when he was leeching in a FC PT (not even keying) and was just spamming GEO spells in an attempt to skill up.

I know that I don't have many friends who still play the game and I know that I'm very far behind when it comes to new content and gear, but I still want to play again.  I'd like to think that I'd take a much more casual approach this time and not get so stressed about things going wrong.

I've got a beta invite to Elder Scrolls Online which I hope to play with for a bit.  Maybe that will satisfy my MMO cravings.

I hope it does, anyways.  Time will tell!

2 comments:

  1. Any chance you are still playing XI?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been playing during the free trial period recently and have really enjoyed the records of eminence quests and gear. I didn't pick up the Adoulin expansion, but I may if I decide to keep playing past the free period.

    ReplyDelete