Monday, January 16, 2012

Apocalypse Averted

Logged in Friday night hoping to find something fun and productive to do.  The shouts weren't anything fun (mostly voidwatch stuff) and the LS didn't really seem to be providing anything exciting, so I decided to get moving on the 'Shadows of the Departed' quest (the prerequisite for Apolacypse Nigh) and to ultimately finish the Zilart and Promathia missions.

Since I was going to be in the promy areas anyways, I also decided to get the maps.  It took a good 3 hours, but I managed to get the slivers that I needed for AN and the maps for all 4 promy zones.  So nice to have those maps!

I sent Ziggy a tell to see if he'd be interested in attempting to duo the fight, which he was (of course, he's a WorldSlayer!).  After I got the kids in bed, we went WHM + BST and took care of business.  I finished up the last few cutscenes that I needed and picked the Magnetic Earring as my reward.

I wasn't really sure which earring to pick.  Most seemed like they were situationally useful at best.  Here are the earrings in all of their glory:

 

So, static was just plain out of the question.  Hollow would be a nice melee earring for RDM while not dual-weilding, and the 2 DEX is nice, but the stat earrings are pretty affordable right now, so that earring was out, too.

The real decision came down to Magnetic vs. Ethereal.  Ethereal's 'convert damage taken to MP' seemed really appealing.  The 5 attack and evasion are nice, too.  Magnetic's conserve MP boost can't be beat (in that slot, anyways).

In the end, it comes down to the fact that I'd find the conserve MP useful on all of my mage jobs much more often and get more mileage than I would out of getting 1 MP back for every 34 (rounded up) damage that I take; if I'm even wearing the earring when I take the damage!  If I were a front-line mage, then I could see the usefulness of Ethereal, but since I'm primarily back-line (and if I'm front-lining, I'm using brutal/suppa/Aesir), I decided on the Magnetic.

On Friday night, there were 31 Stoicheion medals on the AH.  I figured the price would just plummet, so I watched them all weekend.  I thought they'd drop down to the 5-600K range, so I didn't bid any more than that.  When there were only 10 left on the AH, I remembered that I thought that 1.2 mil was a fair price, but it wasn't enough.  As of last night, there was only 1 up, but I don't have the gil because I picked up a pair of Grotesque Cesti instead.

Now I won't feel as gimp when I'm running around on MNK!  I still need to save up ~3 mil for the Lacertrice G.Axe for WAR so I don't feel as gimp.  Nice thing about both the cesti and g.axe is that I will eventually be able to sell them both back and make at least a little bit of money.

Other accomplishments over the weekend:
- level 4 Exenterator and 8/30 merits toward level 5
- helped a BLU in the LS learn Mind Blast from soulflayer mobs
- Helped farm up a couple of stones for the final limit break for a couple in the LS
- Talked to Protecus for the first time in a few months!  He thinks he'll be back online regularly sometime this week!!!!! So much fun to be had; I can't wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment